'Tips for Jesus' strikes again, leaves big tip in Arizona
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- "Tips for Jesus" has struck again; this time, in Arizona.
A mystery tipper left a bartender at the Derby Public House in Scottsdale a $2,000 tip.
She says he was not alone. And before paying they teased her, saying "wouldn't it be awesome if we were those guys who've been leaving big tips?"
"They wouldn't let me see the tab," said bartender Kristi Jonas. "And they said, 'hold this up,' and the girls were like gasping. And I looked down and it was $2,000. And when I looked back up they were filming me on their phones. And they said, 'hey, we are those guys, we're the Tips for Jesus guys.'"
Last month a customer at Harris Steakhouse in San Francisco left a $1,500 tip on a tab just under $500, signed "Tips for Jesus." The lucky waiter blessed by the money is Andy Zhang.
"I was surprised and really happy. At the same day I bought a wedding band for my fiancee. So it helped me a lot I really appreciate it," said Zhang.
These "Tips For Jesus" have popped up across the country. There's an Instagram page showing receipts with thousands of dollars tacked on. The heading says "Doing the Lord's work one tip at a time."
Silicon Valley blog ValleyWag says the mystery tipper is Jack Selby, former PayPal vice president. Selby has not confirmed that report.
(ABC7 News reporter John Alston contributed to this report)
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Oakland A's ready to sign lease at O.co Coliseum
- Report: 1 dead in boat accident near Redwood City 9 min ago
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court 28 min ago
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in... 56 min ago
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Boston Marathon bomb hoax suspect in court
- A's first pitch to honor man killed by drunk driver
- WWI soldier's love letters found behind attic wall
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- Bay Area home prices steadily rising
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos