'Tips for Jesus' strikes again, leaves big tip in Arizona
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- "Tips for Jesus" has struck again; this time, in Arizona.
A mystery tipper left a bartender at the Derby Public House in Scottsdale a $2,000 tip.
She says he was not alone. And before paying they teased her, saying "wouldn't it be awesome if we were those guys who've been leaving big tips?"
"They wouldn't let me see the tab," said bartender Kristi Jonas. "And they said, 'hold this up,' and the girls were like gasping. And I looked down and it was $2,000. And when I looked back up they were filming me on their phones. And they said, 'hey, we are those guys, we're the Tips for Jesus guys.'"
Last month a customer at Harris Steakhouse in San Francisco left a $1,500 tip on a tab just under $500, signed "Tips for Jesus." The lucky waiter blessed by the money is Andy Zhang.
"I was surprised and really happy. At the same day I bought a wedding band for my fiancee. So it helped me a lot I really appreciate it," said Zhang.
These "Tips For Jesus" have popped up across the country. There's an Instagram page showing receipts with thousands of dollars tacked on. The heading says "Doing the Lord's work one tip at a time."
Silicon Valley blog ValleyWag says the mystery tipper is Jack Selby, former PayPal vice president. Selby has not confirmed that report.
(ABC7 News reporter John Alston contributed to this report)
- Plane's disappearance result of "deliberate action"
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire
- I-TEAM: Small park, big problems
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths
- Bay Area kids look to strike gold on ABC's 'Shark Tank'
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos