Barbie featured in Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue
The upcoming 50th anniversary edition of Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue will feature some legendary women who have worn a one or two piece; among them, Christie Brinkley, Kathy Ireland, Kate Upton and Barbie.
Mattel reached out to Sports Illustrated last year to collaborate on the swimsuit issue. The toy company says it wanted to feature Barbie in the magazine because the doll is a cultural icon and a "boundary breaking" woman.
As expected, there's controversy online. Many people say Mattel and Sports Illustrated are objectifying women with this new spread and sending the wrong message to girls.
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos