McAfee IDs attacks on Google, Adobe systems
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The China-based attack on computer systems operated by Google, Adobe and others now has a name: Aurora. Santa Clara-based Internet security firm McAfee says the vulnerability has been pinpointed to Microsoft's Internet Explorer and that Microsoft is working on a patch.
McAfee's worldwide technology officer, George Kurtz, told ABC7 News Wednesday that it appears that the attack was made possible by individual employees downloading a program that made corporate computer systems vulnerable. Kurtz Thursday gave further details -- that the malicious program created a back door to enable an intruder to search for and access sensitive documents and e-mail.
The name Aurora was part of the code in the malware and McAfee believes that was its given name by the programmers behind the attack.
McAfee's investigation points out that all of Microsoft's recent Windows operating system versions are vulnerable, including the newest version, Windows 7.
"The current bumper crop of malware is very sophisticated, highly targeted and designed to infect, conceal access, siphon data or, even worse, modify data without detection," said McAfee's Kurtz. Once discovered, it is too late to protect the computer system.
Aurora, Kurtz says, is just the tip of the iceberg.
google, adobe systems, china, business, david louie
- Search on for man who went missing after B2B race
- Concession workers launch one-day strike at AT&T
- Gay soccer player Robbie Rogers joins LA Galaxy
- Santa Cruz police arrest crime plot mastermind
- UK police arrest 3 more men in soldier's slaying 20 min ago
- PG&E disputes record fine for San Bruno blast
- Scouts honor veterans at annual Memorial Day event
- Police position DUI checkpoints in unsuspecting areas
- Quick, long-term fixes in works for Washington bridge 53 min ago
- Protesters to march vs Monsanto in 250 cities 38 min ago
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- abcnews: How to stay safe at amusement parks 34 min ago
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 36 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos