Drivers putting more money into car maintenance
MARTINEZ, CA (KGO) -- With the economy showing signs of life, area auto repair shops say drivers are doing something they put off as long they could -- routine maintenance. They were trying to save money during an uncertain period, but now they are starting to spend again.
"If you're going to rely on your vehicle, you need a reliable vehicle," auto repair shop owner Alan McCoy said.
That is why some Bay Area mechanics say business is revving up.
With the recession still echoing through the economy many Americans are choosing to spend a few thousand fixing up their old cars, rather than buying a new one.
"I think people came to the conclusion that you had to maintain and repair the cars they had or they wouldn't have anything to drive," McCoy said.
McCoy owns the Car Doc repair shop in Martinez. His earnings suggest that during the depths of the recession people put off even routine maintenance until they were sure about their jobs and finances.
Since then, things are looking up.
The consumer rating firm J.D. Power and Associates says the average car on the road is now more than nine years old. At that age they begin to need more maintenance, even if that's not what drivers want to hear.
"They complain about the cost of repairs and I do understand that, this is one step above going to the dentist," McCoy said.
economy, martinez, business, eric thomas
- Mudslide causes trees on power lines in Piedmont
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Sonoma County fire burns garage and cars
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12
- Man found fatally shot in Concord
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 37 min ago
- roundup: Berkeley fire estimate; Mount Tam body
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
17 min ago