Complaints about iPhone 4 reception surface
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The launch of the new iPhone today was exciting for some, and almost flawless. There are a number of complaints that some of the new iPhone 4 devices have a serious reception problem. Since Apple isn't talking, no one really knows how big a problem this is.
Ryan Merket pre-ordered his iPhone 4 and knew right away there was a problem.
"When I put my hands on the metal, it would actually go from five bars all the way down to zero and eventually have no service," he said.
The tech blog Gizmodo now has more than a dozen videos of people documenting similar issues. Video shows the signal strength in the left corner disappear as the hand covers up the outside steel band with the WiFi and cell phone antennas.
Merket says Apple indicated to him it may be a manufacturing issue.
"It sounded like it has nothing to do with AT&T and Apple might have just had something to do from the factory," he said.
Apple has not responded to our calls or e-mails or those from New York Times technology reporter Miguel Helft. He says there is also speculation the source of the problem could be the iPhone 4 software.
"One person installed that software on their old iPhone 3GS and were able to reproduce the problem on an older phone," said Helft.
Sooner of later Apple will have to let fans know what is going on with the signal issue, but for now Merket is satisfied.
"I talked with the manager and it was just a really great experience," he said. "Came down, got a new phone and now it works perfect."
For most Apple fans, the iPhone 4 is living up to the hype.
AT&T, iphone, business, karina rusk
- Man killed after metal pipe crashes into car on I-580 22 min ago
- Obama to visit tornado-ravaged Oklahoma town
- Passenger vehicles face surprise inspections at SFO 59 min ago
- Deputies monitoring PG&E substation in San Jose 42 min ago
- UK official: London attack could be terror-related
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- 49ers fear Michael Crabtree has torn Achilles 37 min ago
- IRS official Lois Lerner: I did nothing wrong 51 min ago
- Events planned to mark Harvey Milk Day 32 min ago
- Garcetti elected Los Angeles mayor over Greuel 16 min ago
- Rankings released of best and worst airlines
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs 20 min ago
- roundup: Boy nearly run-over; Oklahoma aid
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday