Attorney praises dating website's safeguards
The attorney for the woman who sued Match.com after she claimed she was assaulted on a date is now praising the company's decision to screen for sex offenders.
The dating web site announced on Sunday it would check its members against the National Sex Offender Registry. Match.com says it had already been considering the policy, but the lawsuit accelerated their decision.
The plaintiff's attorney says the case is not about the money.
"This is about looking out for other people who are on the site to make it more safe to protect women who are looking for love, who are looking for their ideal match," said attorney Mark Webb.
Match.com says while the checks may help, members should remain vigilant. The company expects to implement the policy in 60 to 90 days.
lawsuit, websites, crime, sex offender, internet, business
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman 10 min ago
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239 6 min ago
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire