Survey: airline luggage fees hit $400 a bag
If you're flying on an international flight anytime soon you may want to weigh your bags before heading to the airport.
A survey by USA Today finds that Continental and United Airlines are charging $400 for a bag weighing between 71 and 100 pounds and American Airlines will charge you $450 on its Asian flights.
An airline spokesman says the reason for the charges is to offset fuel costs and to dissuade passengers from checking such heavy bags in the first place.
continental airlines, united airlines, american airlines, business
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos