Oakland encourages local shopping
OAKLAND, Calif. -- As the holiday shopping season kicks off on Black Friday, Oakland city officials are calling on residents to shop locally to support area businesses.
City leaders are asking residents to support local merchants by taking part in two holiday shopping events Friday.
"Keep Downtown in the Black" will be centered in downtown Oakland, at 14th Street and Broadway, and will continue along Broadway to Jack London Square.
Downtown shoppers will be treated to performances by local DJs and musicians as they support local merchants.
Shoppers will also be able to purchase raffle tickets to win one of two $50 gift cards at participating stores.
"Plaid Friday", an idea conceived by two Oakland art gallery and shop owners that has become a nationwide trend, celebrates the diversity and creativity of independent businesses.
Participating stores will offer refreshments, music and special offers.
A list of participating stores can be found at PlaidFriday.com.
shopping, black friday, occupy oakland, occupy wall street, oakland, business
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin
- Car crashes into San Jose home this morning 56 min ago
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015
- VIRAL VIDEO: Oscars® Trailer: Ellen... 59 min ago
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos