Oakland encourages local shopping
OAKLAND, Calif. -- As the holiday shopping season kicks off on Black Friday, Oakland city officials are calling on residents to shop locally to support area businesses.
City leaders are asking residents to support local merchants by taking part in two holiday shopping events Friday.
"Keep Downtown in the Black" will be centered in downtown Oakland, at 14th Street and Broadway, and will continue along Broadway to Jack London Square.
Downtown shoppers will be treated to performances by local DJs and musicians as they support local merchants.
Shoppers will also be able to purchase raffle tickets to win one of two $50 gift cards at participating stores.
"Plaid Friday", an idea conceived by two Oakland art gallery and shop owners that has become a nationwide trend, celebrates the diversity and creativity of independent businesses.
Participating stores will offer refreshments, music and special offers.
A list of participating stores can be found at PlaidFriday.com.
shopping, black friday, occupy oakland, occupy wall street, oakland, business
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday