Hertz asking feds to regulate rental industry
Believe it or not, cars under recall do not have to be fixed before being rented.
However, Hertz has agreed to work with safety advocates to try and change that. The nation's second-largest rental car company is asking for government regulation.
Manufacturers and new car dealers are required by federal law to fix recalled vehicles before selling them, but not rental agencies.
Hertz already has a company policy of not selling recalled cars until they are fixed.
auto industry, business
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- Female pedestrian fatally struck in Concord
- Two lanes of WB I-80 in SF blocked due to accident 24 min ago
- Marijuana grow found at San Jose house fire
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos