Harris wants Fannie and Freddie to halt foreclosures
California Attorney General Kamala Harris is going after the two giant government-owned mortgage companies -- demanding that they push the pause button on home foreclosures.
Harris is asking Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to stop all home foreclosures for now. It would be a massive move, because between them, they own more than 60 percent of California mortgages.
Earlier this month, Harris secured for California $18 billion out of a $26 billion settlement with five banks, to help underwater homeowners. Most of the money is slated to reduce the mortgage principle for underwater homeowners. Fannie and Freddie have so far balked at doing the same.
Harris has written a letter to the Federal Housing Finance Agency -- which oversees Fannie and Freddie. Before foreclosing on another home, she wants the agency to do a full analysis -- and figure out if principle reduction would really help homeowners and save taxpayer money. She says the homeowners deserve at least that. Apparently, the agency has responded to the letter, but we don't yet know what that response said.
The acting director of the agency, Edward Demarco, is already an embattled figure. Harris has previously asked him to resign. And, 110 members of Congress have signed a letter asking Demarco to reconsider his position against reducing mortgage principles.
foreclosures, kamala harris, business
- San Jose police officer arrested for sexual assault
- Crews fix broken water main in SF's Lower Haight
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday