Pressure mounts against Wal-Mart over pig abuse
Pressure is mounting on Wal-Mart to stop using pork suppliers that keep pigs in what animal rights activists say are inhumane conditions.
The group "Mercy for Animals" took undercover video showing pregnant pigs, some with open wounds, crammed into crates known as gestation cages. The video, purportedly taken at a Minnesota farm, shows horrific abuse, including piglets being slammed head first into the pavement.
Television icon Bob Barker is using his star power to spotlight the conditions. Gestation crates are banned in California and several grocery chains require suppliers to stop using them. Pleasanton-based Safeway adopted the policy this week.
In a statement, Wal-Mart says it offers gestation crate-free pork products at several stores and "will continue on-going discussions with our suppliers, non-governmental organizations, and food safety experts to find ways to increase that number."
animal, animals in peril, walmart, business
- Injunction filed to keep Jahi McMath on life support 51 min ago
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin
- Female victim shot near Lake Merritt Friday morning 30 min ago
- Car crashes into San Jose home this morning
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal
- VIRAL VIDEO: Oscars® Trailer: Ellen...
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Injunction filed to keep Jahi McMath on...
51 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos