Pressure mounts against Wal-Mart over pig abuse
Pressure is mounting on Wal-Mart to stop using pork suppliers that keep pigs in what animal rights activists say are inhumane conditions.
The group "Mercy for Animals" took undercover video showing pregnant pigs, some with open wounds, crammed into crates known as gestation cages. The video, purportedly taken at a Minnesota farm, shows horrific abuse, including piglets being slammed head first into the pavement.
Television icon Bob Barker is using his star power to spotlight the conditions. Gestation crates are banned in California and several grocery chains require suppliers to stop using them. Pleasanton-based Safeway adopted the policy this week.
In a statement, Wal-Mart says it offers gestation crate-free pork products at several stores and "will continue on-going discussions with our suppliers, non-governmental organizations, and food safety experts to find ways to increase that number."
animal, animals in peril, walmart, business
- Security heightened at 2013 Bay to Breakers in SF
- Report: Corrosion a problem on new Bay Bridge 58 min ago
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Martinez police treating brush fire as crime scene
- Man falls from building during Bay to Breakers party
- Tornado levels homes in Oklahoma City trailer park
- Nicasio lifts Rockies to 5-0 win over Giants
- Cespedes homer helps A's complete sweep of Royals
- 2 men arrested in killing teen over iPad in Las Vegas
- Girl killed, parents hurt by shots fired into home
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday 49 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
51 min ago
- Report: Corrosion a problem on new Bay Bridge
58 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos