BlackBerry service down in Europe, Mideast, Africa
LONDON -- BlackBerry says it has resolved an outage affecting users in Europe, Middle East and Africa - interrupting service for customers on the very day Apple Inc. unveiled its hot new iPhone 5.
BlackBerry announced the issues in postings on Facebook and Twitter on Friday, and said it fixed the troubles after a few hours. It apologized to customers for the inconvenience caused.
The outage brought up unpleasant memories of troubles with emails and chat messages last year that left users bereft for three days. In the United States and Canada, the outage was shorter, but many of the world's 70 million BlackBerry users were affected.
The timing could not have been worse: lines formed outside of Apple stores in Britain as the new iPhone 5 went on sale.
blackberry, cellphone, business
- Brentwood students facing charges for sexting scandal 13 min ago
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire 11 min ago
- I-TEAM: Small park, big problems
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths
- Bay Area kids look to strike gold on ABC's 'Shark Tank'
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos