New mall brings new jobs to Livermore
LIVERMORE, Calif. (KGO) -- An enormous new outlet mall could bring jobs to a hard hit area of Alameda County. The Paragon Outlets Mall is set to open its doors in Livermore Thursday, bringing with it jobs and several high end stores.
The Paragon Outlets Mall has been a beacon of hope, even in Livermore, where unemployment rate is about half that for the rest of California's 10.2 percent.
No one ever said lowering the unemployment rate would be easy. It's downright hard work figuratively, and also physically.
Terin O'Callaghan and Kareem Edwards helped race the clock to open an Asics outlet -- one of 130 new stores that debut Thursday with Livermore's new shopping center. With it comes about 2,000 new retail jobs, an economic boom to residents and a city.
"Four years ago our revenues dropped 40 percent, took a $16 million hit, so that was a drop in property tax and sales tax; the mall will bump up out sales tax," Livermore Mayor John Marchand said.
For Marchand, this is the difference a couple of months can make. The fulfillment of a promise made at job fairs last summer. Thousands of people came looking for work from the new mall. Now, standing in those long lines have begun to pay off.
Kristen Griego found work with the mall operator as an executive assistant. She had been out of work for more than two months after a lay-off. That worry is gone.
"I see this humongous mall going up with these amazing stores and people are going shopping; that, to me, is a sign of hope," she said.
livermore, jobs, shopping, business, wayne freedman
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead' 25 min ago
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed 23 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Seismic saddles in place on new Bay Bridge
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation policy
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos