Independent retailers also busy with holiday shoppers
ALAMEDA, Calif. (KGO) -- Big box stores have been inundated with last minute shoppers but independent stores are also busy and many of these mom and pop businesses seem to be doing well.
Small independent stores don't even try to go head to head with the big chain stores.
"You don't even try to compete with it, you do what you do and stay open later for the customers that come into your store," Lauren's Closet owner Lisa Oyen said.
What many indie retailers have that the big boys don't is a more relaxed shopping experience along with extra customer service.
"You have to be everything that your competition is not; you have to be personable, customer service is key," Dwight Fisher of Rocket Reuse said.
Michelle Stibbs says she has freshly baked cookies for her customers.
"Most of my customers I know by name and face and so it's just a different kind of ballgame I guess," she said.
Park Street in Alameda is popular during the holidays because of all the independent stores. Many of them offer one-of-a-kind merchandise.
"They are one-of-a-kind certainly and I just think it is so important to support local," shopper Barbara Brown said.
Oyen says her clients know why it's important to buy local.
"To keep the money in the cities," she said.
Stibbs opened her store Silk Road four years ago, just as the recession began. She says for the first time, this year she overstocked and now she's nearly sold out.
"Last year and the year before I noticed people would say, 'Oh I like this, I like this,' but they wouldn't get as much; this year they are buying more," Stibbs said.
She says perhaps a sign that consumer confidence is finally back where it should be.
shopping, christmas, business, lyanne melendez
- Collapse feared at site of massive 5-alarm fire in SF
- FBI searching for Bay Area bombing suspect
- India says Malaysia seeking help in search for jet 43 min ago
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif. 37 min ago
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Mountain lion caught on camera in Hollywood Hlls 5 min ago
- Target apologizes for girl's bathing suit Photoshop fail
- Parents warned about new psychedelic drug 55 min ago
- Boat crashes into rocks near Oyster Point Marina 47 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Groups protest chemicals used in iPhone 30 min ago
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos