Apple's App store celebrates 50 billion downloads
If you are a fiend for those apps on your iPhone and iPad, you're not alone. Somebody won the lottery Wednesday, Apple style.
The company is giving away a $10,000 app gift card to the person who bought the 50 billionth app. The frenzy was on as an online counter ticked up to the winner. Another 50 people who just missed the big prize will get a 500 dollar card.
Wednesday's big marker comes only five years after the company launched the Apple App store in 2008.
apple, apps, iPad, tablets, iphone, smartphones, business
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- 7 OYS puts waterproof smartphone case to the test
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
49 min ago
- Journals show students' despair, hope
49 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos