Same-sex marriage could bring in $40M for state
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- When the same-sex wedding bells start ringing, so too will the cash registers. The Prop 8 decision is good for business. This news is icing on the cake for Bay Area wedding businesses.
"It really does put me in the mood for a wedding," said Wedding designer Billy Cook.
Cook has been engaged to his partner for five years. The Supreme Court's decision will change things.
"I've always been the bridesmaid, never the bride. Now I get to be the bride," said Cook.
A study out of UCLA projects 37,000 same-sex couples in California will wed over the next three years. That will generate $40 million for the state budget and $492 million in revenue for wedding-related businesses.
Florists, musicians, bakeries, stationery stores and caterers all stand to get a slice of this new wedding cake.
"I was at the flower market this morning when the decision came down from the Supreme Court and there was a big cheer," said Mandy Scott from Mandy Scott Flowers. This florist and event planner hopes to see a boom in her business in the coming months. "We'll definitely see some bigger bashes and they definitely do spend more on legal weddings than on smaller celebration or commitment ceremony."
At this Taste Catering, Inc. in San Francisco, they are saying bring on the same-sex weddings.
"Everyone is so excited and waiting for more weddings," said Hayley Seed from Taste Catering.
same sex marriage, weddings, proposition 8, u.s. supreme court, business
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested
- One injured in apartment fire near San Jose State
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes 27 min ago
- 'Legends of Candlestick' to return for final game
- Afghanistan hospital guard kills three American doctors
- 2 arrested for murder of pet sitter in East Oakland 42 min ago
- Batteries in baby video monitors recalled
- Brentwood boy to be honored at MLB All-Star game 29 min ago
- Suspected San Jose homicide victim identified 38 min ago
- 5-year-old Oakland boy shot in eye with paintball gun
- Amazon launches grocery service for Prime members 10 min ago
- Actor dressed as homeless man fools New Yorkers 44 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Muni bus fire; Hiker rescued 49 min ago