7-Eleven marks birthday by giving away free Slurpees
7-Eleven is marking its 86th birthday with its annual free Slurpee day!
As part of Thursday's promotion, participating stores in the U.S. and Canada are giving away 12-ounce Slurpees from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
According to the company's website, customers consume nearly 13 million Slurpee drinks each month. Company officials say the beverage was introduced in 1966, and almost 6.5 billion Slurpees have been sold since then.
7-Eleven says it's the world's first convenience store. It was born in the summer of 1927 in suburban Dallas. It now has more than 50,000 stores in 16 countries. About 10,000 of those are in North America.
Posts on the Slurpee event Facebook page included, "I can't wait. I love Slurpees!"
Another user commented on the free giveaway saying, "Free. Slurpee. 'Nuff said."
(Bay City News contributed to this report)
food, retail, business
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week 53 min ago
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case