Halloween theme stores, parks hire workers
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KGO) -- Fright Night is getting underway and Halloween hiring is getting started. Theme parks and themed stores are gearing up for the spending spree that goes along with Oct. 31.
It's a howling good time at Great America's Halloween Haunt. Our cameras captured some of the creatures that scared guests inside the haunted maze. Some patrons say the 3-D glasses added a good element to the experience.
"Halloween Haunt is a major piece of our business," said Great America's vice president and general manager Raul Rehnborg. He said this event is so big they load up on seasonal workers. "We beef up to about 2,500 employees, but we add another 500 just for Halloween Haunt."
Great America isn't the only employer giving a boost to our economy. The Spirit Halloween store in Cupertino hires a lot of college students.
"They help us merchandise and make stuff look nice for customers," said Lucas Gutierrez, the Spirit Halloween store manager.
According to a National Retail Federation survey. Halloween sales are expected to be down this year with the average person expected to spend $75.03 on all things Halloween compared to $79.82 last year. That's a trend the Cupertino store isn't seeing.
"Business has been better than last season. It's been picking up like a lot," said Gutierrez.
santa clara, great america, halloween, holiday, economy, jobs, business, ama daetz
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 49ers Jim Harbaugh ready for start of free agency
- Missing woman from Benicia found in Alpine County 28 min ago
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case