Petition to allow expansion of Netflix headquarters
LOS GATOS, Calif. (KGO) -- A new petition drive is underway in Los Gatos over an expansion plan by Netflix that has received town approval, but still faces a ton of opposition.
In 2012, the city council approved the expansion of the business park on the other side of Highway 85 on Winchester Boulevard from its current 250,000 square feet to 485,000 square feet. But, lawsuits have been filed challenging the new heights of the buildings and also the size of the development.
Two Los Gatos residents, including one with the same last name of one of the developers on the business park sign, have filed a letter of intent to circulate a petition allowing for the business park to go on as planned and essentially squashing the ability of a court to stop the development. If the initiative makes it to the ballot and is approved by Los Gatos voters, it would amend the Los Gatos general plan among other things protecting the new business park development from being challenged in court until the year 2021.
Supporters say the new development would provide up to $1 million in new property tax revenue for local schools. Opponents of the larger development told Los Gatos Patch Netflix has already signed a lease agreement to stay and the legal challenges are about responsible development in the town. The ballot initiative is titled the Los Gatos Economic Development and Jobs Retention Initiative.
There is no word on how many signatures will be needed for this initiative to make it on the ballot.
netflix, los gatos, television, internet, business, matt keller
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires
- Two hospitalized after acid spill at Tesoro refinery 10 min ago
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer 48 min ago
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting 16 min ago
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- State senator to introduce utility security legislation 47 min ago
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief 54 min ago
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley 35 min ago
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Fatal Oakland crash
- Campaign looks to end use of 'bossy' with...
25 min ago
- Investigators to speak with shot San...
48 min ago