Macy's testing new Shopkick discount alert app for iPhones
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Macy's in San Francisco is testing a new app that alerts shoppers of specific store discounts on their iPhones.
The new app is called Shopkick.
Macy's at Union Square is one of a handful of stores testing the technology.
Here's how it works: Macy's has set up transmitters around the store that send discount alerts every time a shopper walks by an item that's for sale.
It's just a test for now, but if it's a success, it could take off with retailers everywhere.
apps, smartphones, union square, shopping, iphone, business
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Mountain View police searching for missing boy 4 min ago
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- State oversight may tame California pot shops 22 min ago
- Gas prices may jump from California emissions law 7 min ago
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Object spotted may be part of missing...
20 min ago