Local malls, shops nearly empty before Christmas
DALY CITY, Calif. (KGO) -- We're into the last eight days of the holiday shopping season. Shops should be jam packed, but they're not. Brick and mortar stores are struggling to catch-up with online retailers.
A little more than a week before Christmas and the shoppers were sparse. Very few were carrying bags. The only reason Daly City resident Cody Rodenhuis was at the Serramonte Center was to get a photo of his bulldogs, Ruth and Tank, with Santa Claus.
"Typically, I just rely on Amazon just because of convenience from home and have it shipped directly to me. So I can avoid a lot of the parking congestion and traffic," said Rodenhuis.
According to the market research company, NPD Group, consumers have finished less than half of their shopping, a little behind where they were last year at this time.
Genevieve Agra manages a children's clothing store. She said, "This year it's way slower. Last year it was packed throughout the holiday season. Now it's like really slow."
And with Thanksgiving falling later in November, the shopping season is six days shorter. The result has been a significant uptick for online activity.
"I think the pressure that consumers feel during a shortened selling season results in slightly more emotionality in purchasing and so online is a way for them to feel calmer, more in control," said Kit Yarrow, Ph.D., a consumer psychologist.
Many shoppers still like the thrill of the bargain hunt in a store.
"I do 95 percent in the mall. I work on a computer all day. I don't want to get on a computer in my free time," said Marilyn Razon, a Moss Beach resident.
Stores know most shopping will occur in the final week before Christmas.
christmas, holiday, shopping, internet, daly city, business
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Fire in Novato damages garage and two cars
- Scientists locate shipwreck in San Francisco Bay 53 min ago
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week 3 min ago
- Palo Alto hiker rescued in Yosemite after fall
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Measuring California's impact from affirmative action ban
- Classical music legend Art Barnes is retiring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos