Last minute Christmas shopping is in full swing
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The last minute Christmas shopping frenzy is in full swing and it's only going to get busier. A few major retailers will be staying open starting Friday, or this weekend, all the way through Christmas Eve.
Macy's will open Friday at 7 a.m. and will welcome costumers for the next 107 hours.
"Lots of jobs are not 9-5 anymore, so we are listening to the customers that wants to be able to come either because their schedule dictates it or their life dictates it. We have a lot of moms that like to shop when it's not as crazy," said Lori Randolph from Macy's.
Toys-R-Us will open on Saturday through Christmas Eve.
It's a good opportunity for those who complain our late Thanksgiving made for a shorter holiday shopping season.
The extended hours have an impact on other smaller businesses, such as the hot dog stand outside of Macy's in Union Square.
Retailers are still on track to meet the National Retail Federation's holiday sales forecast, projecting a growth of 3.9 percent. It's also been a strong week for online retail spending.
And now the Westfield San Francisco Centre is testing something new called digital storefronts. Shoppers can tap a glass area and begin shopping. Customers checkout on their phones, pay no shipping costs and they get next day delivery.
"So it's giving that consumer that kind of immediacy of what they look for when they come to the mall, but also doing it in a way that's new, and fun and interactive," said David Blumenfeld from the Westfield San Francisco Centre.
Some say it beats staying at home.
christmas, holiday, shopping, internet, business, lyanne melendez
- San Jose police officer arrested for sexual assault 51 min ago
- Crews fix broken water main in SF's Lower Haight
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday