Apple, Samsung fail to settle before March trial
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. have failed to settle their latest patent dispute despite a daylong meeting between top Samsung executives and Apple CEO Tim Cook hosted by a mediator earlier this month.
The companies detailed the lack of progress in a court filing Friday. Judge Lucy Lucy Koh of the U.S. District Court in San Jose has been pushing the two sides to settle the 2-year-old case.
A court filing the companies made Friday in the 2-year-old case before Judge Lucy Koh in the U.S. District Court in San Jose detailed the lack of progress.
While the two sides said they remain willing to work through a mediator, the lack of a settlement points them toward a trial in March.
The world's top two smartphone makers have waged legal battles over mobile devices since Apple accused Samsung of copying the iPhone and the iPad in 2011. Later, Samsung claimed Apple used its technologies without permissions, expanding battles to courts in Asia, Europe and North America.
In November, a Silicon Valley jury tacked on damages that a previous jury said Samsung owes Apple for copying vital iPhone and iPad features, bringing the total award to $930 million.
The previous verdict covered 13 older Samsung devices. Samsung has said it would appeal.
The latest trial will consider Apple's claims that Samsung's newest devices, such as its Galaxy S III, also copied Apple's technology.
apple, trials, iPad, iphone, smartphones, samsung, tablets, silicon valley, tim cook, business
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman 29 min ago
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239 4 min ago
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire