Drive To Discover
2010: 'The Year of the Book'
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A look back at the year in technology reveals that 2010 was, surprise, "the year of the book." People are reading more than ever.
In this Drive to Discover report, Richard Hart takes a looks at "firsts" that occurred during the past year in mobile phones and set top boxes as well as ebooks.
In January of this year, analysts reported that for the first time, more people watched streaming movies from Netflix than DVD movies from Netflix. The other shoe could drop this coming January. Netflix watcher Feed Fliks writes, "It is likely that 2010 will go down as the first year when Netflix's DVD shipments will begin to plateau."
One consequence is that Netflix movies surpassed 20 percent of Internet traffic during primetime hours. There is hope for quality video though. This was the first year when DVD players lost market share to Blu-ray players.
In 2010, for the first time, Amazon sold more ebooks for its Kindle ereader than it sold books in hardcover. The coming year will see ebooks outpace books in paperback too. Despite this revolution, the American Publishers Association reports that hardcover book sales increased 22 percent during the outgoing year. You and I are reading more than ever.
Digital camera shipments from Japan fell almost 4 percent in October from a year earlier, which some attribute to a related trend: more photographs taken with phones than with cameras. A Nokia executive told Reuters News in 2010 that, "Soon, mobile phone cameras will replace conventional cameras."
Finally, the New York Yankees became the first professional sports team to ban iPads at Yankee Stadium during a game. They say it was for security reasons. Also in 2010, for the first time, more women than men received doctoral degrees. (The Council of Graduate Schools says that men still earn nearly 80 percent of engineering doctorates.)
movies, internet, iPad, e-books, amazon, apple, drive to discover
- Damage reported after 5.7 quake in Greenville
- A closer look at the America's Cup catamarans 32 min ago
- NASA Ames focusing on advanced manufacturing 37 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- No charges in Starbucks orange juice case
- Millions to hit the roads this Memorial Day weekend
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal 6 min ago
- Walnut Creek student dies after brain hemorrhage 39 min ago
- Teen remembered 19 years after unsolved murder
- Top 10 items found during 2012 coastal cleanup
- Get Free Stuff: Challenge butter; Shoe laces
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Unsolved murder vigil; Oakland shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
49 min ago
- Runways reopened after emergency landing at...
56 min ago
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to...
6 min ago