Drive To Discover
Tablet computer competition heats up at CES
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Sunday marked the close of the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. This year, more new tablet computers were introduced than any other product category.
At the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show, you could lay your hands on no fewer than 20 different tablets vying for the number two spot behind Apple's iPad. Well, technically, you can't lay your hands on half of them until later this year.
Motorola has the top contender in its Xoom, with a screen larger than iPad's, higher resolution, Adobe Flash, two cameras, and Google's Android. But not until this summer.
Around the corner were Hanvon, Hanlin, PocketBook, Kyros Touchscreen, Coby Reader, Lenovo's Windows 7 IdeaPad, Dell's Streak 7 tablet, Samsung's 4G Galaxy, the WindPad, the Vizio VIA, Acer Iconis. The But nothing yet from Sony.
In floor space, tablets and tablet accessories rivaled phones and phone accessories.
There were dual Window pads that open like a book. Even a virtual digital virtual book.
And more accessories than you can shake a smartphone at. There was one game controller for tablets that mounts with suction cups. Speaking of games, Angry Birds were everywhere. Mattel even introduced a real-life version. Your digital version has its advantage, though: You don't need to rebuild your pig palace after every shot.
More tablet-ware will be on display at Moscone Center in just two weeks, when the annual Mac World convenes.
------- Links -------
internet, iPad, e-books, apple, shopping, drive to discover
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City 3 min ago
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- Consumer Reports tests toothbrushes
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Two injured in accident on Almaden Expressway
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown