Hearing held on teaching kids about LGBT families
ALAMEDA, CA (KGO) -- On Monday night in Alameda, there was a second public hearing on a controversial plan to teach elementary school kids about same-sex families.
Lots of parents showed up to discuss a new school lesson that supporters say would cut down on anti-gay slurs and bullying.
LGBT Lesson #9 is the new curriculum that would include teaching elementary age students about same sex families, but opponents say the material is not age-appropriate.
The school board will make its decision on May 26.
Today's latest headlines | ABC7 News on your phone
Follow us on Twitter | Fan us on Facebook | Get our free widget
- Santa Cruz police arrest crime plot mastermind
- Gay soccer player Robbie Rogers joins LA Galaxy
- Thieves target True Religion jeans
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- Police position DUI checkpoints in unsuspecting areas
- San Jose structure fire displaces 5 people
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- Shift in tactics may be helping Oakland police
- 3-D printer helps save dying baby with rare disease
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal
- Walnut Creek student dies after brain hemorrhage
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine 45 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos