San Ramon students place in Nat'l Science Bowl
SAN RAMON, CA (KGO) -- A team of science whizzes from a San Ramon middle school have a lot to brag about after coming in second-place in the Department of Energy's National Science Bowl.
The students from Gale Ranch Middle School met with the First Lady in Washington D.C. Monday.
It is the first time they have reached the finals in the competition. Michelle Obama asked them and students from Albuquerque Academy in New Mexico the championship bonus questions. The two teams were competing for the middle school championship.
Mrs. Obama praised the students for their hard work and commitment to school. Both teams already won $1,000 for their schools' science departments for being finalists.
The National Science Bowl is an academic competition that tests students' knowledge.
michelle obama, education
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- Senators reach deal extending jobless benefits
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF 51 min ago
- Car cleared from Caltrain tracks after collision
- Police search for possible shooter, lock down school
- Americans on track to spend $60B on pets this year
- Royal editor: Diana gave me leaked phone info 55 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"... 23 min ago
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday