Oakland HS celebrates academic achievements
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Oakland Skyline High School threw a big party in the middle of the school on Tuesday called "Climb the Mountain of Success."
Complete with music, games and food, the event was designed to honor hundreds of Skyline students who are making the grade in the classroom.
"We feel that it's very important for us to recognize student success," Skyline Assistant Principal Vinnie Blye said. "As students see themselves as being successful, they'll put forth an even better effort."
The event was funded with alumni donations and school administrators plan to make it an annual affair.
About 800 of Skyline's 1,900 students were invited to the party, which honored all those who achieved a grade point of average of 3.0 or better this past semester. In addition, any student who improved their GPA by at least a half point was also invited.
"It was hard, but I worked toward my goal," student Rashidi Mason said. "I kind of slacked last year, but I picked it up this year and like improved."
Oakland Mayor Jean Quan spoke at the event, and pointed out that only about one-third of the district's African American males actually graduate from high school.
"The reality is that Oakland is a district of many different kinds of schools, and many of the schools in the hills and the midlands are among the best in the state," she said.
Both of Quan's children graduated from Skyline and went on to attend Ivy League colleges.
Current Skyline basketball player Kendall Segers told ABC7 he's carrying a 3.6 GPA and hopes to earn an athletic scholarship.
"If you want to get a good job and live a healthy life, that's why I say get good grades," he said.
oakland, jean quan, school athletics, education, laura anthony
- Jahi McMath's family to hold rally, march in Oakland 5 min ago
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal 12 min ago
- Man arrested in deadly fight at Antioch bowling alley
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather
- Jahi McMath's mother writes letter about daughter 37 min ago
- Vault fire in SF's Mission District now under control
- Neighbors: Nevada gunman had botched vasectomy
- Ex-49er Harris sentenced in boyfriend's beating
- Massage therapist faces sexual battery charges
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Photos: FAN PHOTOS: Farewell Candlestick
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Some stores offering last minute holiday...
20 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos