College students preach the importance of education
HAYWARD, Calif. (KGO) -- Parishioners at more than two dozen Bay Area churches will get more than a sermon this Sunday. In fact, they'll get a very big pitch for a college education -- straight from the pulpit.
Cal State East Bay students are getting ready for church on Sunday. They're putting together these pamphlets that will be handed out to potential students during worship.
"It's an outreach program to the African-American community to increase the number of African- Americans going to college," Barbara Pauley from Cal East Bay said.
The university calls it "Super Sunday. This Sunday, Feb. 20, administrators and faculty will fan out to more than 40 northern California churches to deliver the message.
"We have always gone to the church and to the black leaders as a place where not only do we worship, it's a place where information is given out to everyone," Pauley said.
This year, a church in Newark is taking part. The pastor says getting a college degree isn't just about getting a good job.
"The residual effect on our community, our culture, our cities, states, towns, nation world, is really immeasurable," Pastor Horacio Jones from Family Bible Fellowship said.
He says a degree instills self worth and contributes to black culture, communities, neighborhoods and beyond. In its pitch, the university will put an emphasis on financial aid -- because tough economic times are even tougher in the black community. But, administrators say that doesn't have to be a show stopper.
"College is achievable and you can do it, and we're going to offer you a pathway to get there," said.
hayward, CSU, education, eric thomas
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing for...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos