List of potential Oakland school closures released
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Parents in Oakland now know which schools are in the chopping block for next year.
The Oakland Unified School District published the list of potential school closures over the weekend, calling the move a cost-cutting measure.
Five Oakland elementary schools -- Lakeview, Marshall, Maxwell Park, Santa Fe and Lazear -- are recommend for closure by district staff. Various reasons for making the list include low enrollment and low test scores.
The list will be presented to the Oakland school board during Tuesday's board meeting, but the final decision on school closures won't be made until October 26.
District administrators say they could save $450,000 for each campus.
school closures, oakland, education
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
- Experts weigh in on Bay Bridge broken bolt debacle
- PayPal hopes new smartphone app will replace wallet
- 49ers new stadium to host Super Bowl 50 in 2016
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma City area
- Apple's Cook faces Senate questions on taxes
- Oakland looks to give micro-loans to small businesses
- Bay Area fire captain among team sent to Oklahoma
- Search continues for man after Bay to Breakers
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Photos: San Jose Sharks fan pics!
- abcnews: Hero teacher covered students with body
- roundup: SF bank robbery; Search for survivors
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday