List of potential Oakland school closures released
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Parents in Oakland now know which schools are in the chopping block for next year.
The Oakland Unified School District published the list of potential school closures over the weekend, calling the move a cost-cutting measure.
Five Oakland elementary schools -- Lakeview, Marshall, Maxwell Park, Santa Fe and Lazear -- are recommend for closure by district staff. Various reasons for making the list include low enrollment and low test scores.
The list will be presented to the Oakland school board during Tuesday's board meeting, but the final decision on school closures won't be made until October 26.
District administrators say they could save $450,000 for each campus.
school closures, oakland, education
- Target apologizes after massive data breach
- Deputy saves man after crash in Oakland
- Consumer Reports tests handheld gaming devices
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- CPUC considering fine against PG&E for faulty pipeline
- BART board approves contract with AFSCME
- Bus with 8 kids involved in crash in Livermore
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Honda tops insurance industry safety list
- DEA wages war on synthetic drugs sold on Internet
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos