List of potential Oakland school closures released
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Parents in Oakland now know which schools are in the chopping block for next year.
The Oakland Unified School District published the list of potential school closures over the weekend, calling the move a cost-cutting measure.
Five Oakland elementary schools -- Lakeview, Marshall, Maxwell Park, Santa Fe and Lazear -- are recommend for closure by district staff. Various reasons for making the list include low enrollment and low test scores.
The list will be presented to the Oakland school board during Tuesday's board meeting, but the final decision on school closures won't be made until October 26.
District administrators say they could save $450,000 for each campus.
school closures, oakland, education
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...