List of potential Oakland school closures released
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Parents in Oakland now know which schools are in the chopping block for next year.
The Oakland Unified School District published the list of potential school closures over the weekend, calling the move a cost-cutting measure.
Five Oakland elementary schools -- Lakeview, Marshall, Maxwell Park, Santa Fe and Lazear -- are recommend for closure by district staff. Various reasons for making the list include low enrollment and low test scores.
The list will be presented to the Oakland school board during Tuesday's board meeting, but the final decision on school closures won't be made until October 26.
District administrators say they could save $450,000 for each campus.
school closures, oakland, education
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case