Oakland to close five schools at the end of the year
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Oakland will close five schools at the end of this year. The school board voted last night after a contentious meeting with parents and students.
The elementary schools that will be closed are Lakeview, Lazear, Marshall, Santa Fe and Maxwell Park. School officials say student enrollment has declined and the district has lost $150 million in state funding over the past two years.
Thre was a different ending for the West Contra Costa School District, where they've come up with enough money to keep two schools open. Last night, the school board voted to keep Shannon Elementary in Pinole and Lake Elementary in San Pablo open.
The district found an additional $1 million in the budget to fund the schools.
oakland, school closures, education
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- Senators reach deal extending jobless benefits
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF 42 min ago
- Car cleared from Caltrain tracks after collision
- Police search for possible shooter, lock down school
- Americans on track to spend $60B on pets this year
- Royal editor: Diana gave me leaked phone info 46 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"... 14 min ago
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday