Seniors connect with kids over shared love of reading
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Every month, two dozen senior citizens from the Baywood Court Retirement Community in Castro Valley board a bus to do something which, they say, keeps them young. They sit down with kindergartners in East Oakland to read, laugh and learn.
"The seniors know they have something they clearly look forward to and know they are making a difference," school volunteer Jo Budman said. "The kids have something that makes them individually special."
Budman reached out to Elaine Blow, one of the seniors at the center.
"I had 15 people listed; right now I'm up to 26," Blow said.
The seniors have been coming to the school since the beginning of the school year. Both the kids and the seniors meet for one hour on the last Monday of the month.
Phyllis Huggman is 97 years old.
"I think education is so important in their lives that that's one of the reasons I come here-hopefully give them a love of reading," she said.
Bill Tamerlain is a former San Mateo High School teacher.
"They give me a sense of doing something," he said.
The seniors also collect donated books for the children.
"It builds their self esteem to let them know someone is interested in them and concerned and taking the time with them," teacher Aura Levi said.
"I like reading because I love it so much; I like to be learning in my school and reading," student Aniyah Herron said.
For a short hour they realize they are giving something to each other.
children, books, oakland, castro valley, education, lyanne melendez
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather
- Cal students led move toward divestment
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Local schools race to keep up with technology 39 min ago
- North Korea deports elderly Palo Alto man
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested
- Make-A-Wish, Macy's team up to help Daly City girl
- New option studied for treating back pain
- SF man calls 7 On Your Side to help in luggage mixup 57 min ago
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- GET FREE STUFF: Dog bow tie; makeup
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
23 min ago