Santa Monica College offers core classes at premium
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KGO) -- College students have long complained that there are not enough spots for so-called "core courses."
Now, Santa Monica College in Southern California is offering extra sessions of these so-called high-demand classes, but they cost six times the normal rate. The standard fees are $36 per unit, but several math and English courses needed by almost every student will now cost $200 a unit.
Officials say it is necessary because of state funding cuts.
- Cold snap could shatter 41-year-old Bay Area record
- Bay Area braces for chilly weather as cold snap hits
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations
- Newtown 911 calls show calm response to shooting
- Bail for suspect in PS4 robbery in SF set at $5M
- 3 Good Samaritans honored for Alameda water rescue
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- Autopsy: Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- New chair lets users decide the temperature
- Local startup iHear to offer hearing aids online
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: SF shooting; Milpitas possible kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos