3 educators up for Contra Costa teacher of the year
MARTINEZ, Calif. (KGO) -- There are three finalists competing for the Contra Costa County Teacher of the Year Award. Take a look at what those three educators are doing in the classroom that sets them apart.
Terryl Miller spells out words by singing the letters. She says it helps her students to retain new words. Miller teaches at Los Perales Elementary School in Moraga. She's been an educator for 22 years and she says it's never too late to incorporate new learning strategies, like teaching the ABCs using sign language.
"They learn it very soon in the school year and once they have those sounds then I use those as a hook and as reminder later on when they want to write something," Miller said.
Her style of teaching caught the eye of the Contra Costa County Office of Education, which nominated her for teacher of the year.
Mona Keeler of Iron Horse Middle School in San Ramon is another nominee. When her math class ends, that's when her students begin to practice what they have learned.
"So they have to go home and explain it to their parents, to a sibling," Keeler said. "It might even be a fraction game that we built in class or even an algebra game. They have to go home and process it at home."
Rona Zollinger is the third nominee. In 2002, she created an environmental program at Vicente Martinez High School in Martinez. The program is called New Leaf. Part of program requires that students take what they learn into the community.
"I take students on Fridays to different elementary schools and the students teach about environmental awareness and watershed health," Zollinger said.
Zollinger's father, a retired teacher in Utah, taught her to bring change into the classroom.
"And that I inspire them to become empowered agents for change in the world, wherever they go," Zollinger said.
The winner will be announced Thursday evening and will go on to represent Contra Costa County in the state competition.
contra costa county, education, lyanne melendez
- Fatal crash blocks lanes of I-580 in Livermore
- Antioch man arrested after wild, high-speed chase
- Consumer Reports puts AA batteries to the test
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'... 37 min ago
- UN inspectors confirm Syria chemical attack 25 min ago
- San Jose fire crews battle one-alarm house fire
- NYC college student dies during fraternity ritual
- Vallejo police ID two most recent homicide victims
- FCC considers lifting ban on in-flight cellphone use 12 min ago
- Instagram launches direct messaging feature
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: Copper wiring theft; "Shop With a Cop"
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos