3 educators up for Contra Costa teacher of the year
MARTINEZ, Calif. (KGO) -- There are three finalists competing for the Contra Costa County Teacher of the Year Award. Take a look at what those three educators are doing in the classroom that sets them apart.
Terryl Miller spells out words by singing the letters. She says it helps her students to retain new words. Miller teaches at Los Perales Elementary School in Moraga. She's been an educator for 22 years and she says it's never too late to incorporate new learning strategies, like teaching the ABCs using sign language.
"They learn it very soon in the school year and once they have those sounds then I use those as a hook and as reminder later on when they want to write something," Miller said.
Her style of teaching caught the eye of the Contra Costa County Office of Education, which nominated her for teacher of the year.
Mona Keeler of Iron Horse Middle School in San Ramon is another nominee. When her math class ends, that's when her students begin to practice what they have learned.
"So they have to go home and explain it to their parents, to a sibling," Keeler said. "It might even be a fraction game that we built in class or even an algebra game. They have to go home and process it at home."
Rona Zollinger is the third nominee. In 2002, she created an environmental program at Vicente Martinez High School in Martinez. The program is called New Leaf. Part of program requires that students take what they learn into the community.
"I take students on Fridays to different elementary schools and the students teach about environmental awareness and watershed health," Zollinger said.
Zollinger's father, a retired teacher in Utah, taught her to bring change into the classroom.
"And that I inspire them to become empowered agents for change in the world, wherever they go," Zollinger said.
The winner will be announced Thursday evening and will go on to represent Contra Costa County in the state competition.
contra costa county, education, lyanne melendez
- Protesters vacate CCSF building, head to city hall
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Bay Bridge bike path temporarily closed for work 6 min ago
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Manhunt on for Bay Area ATM robber
- Outkast, The Cure to headline BottleRock in Napa
- Quiznos files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- Overnight stays come to Winchester Mystery House
- Bay Area kids look to strike gold on ABC's 'Shark Tank' 18 min ago
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Uber insurance policy; BottleRock lineup
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 11 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
7 min ago
- Search for lost jet expands amid signs it...
41 min ago
- Bay Bridge bike path temporarily closed for...
6 min ago
- Bay Area kids look to strike gold on ABC's...
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos