Steve Wozniak makes his 'Dancing' debut
SAN JOSE, CA (KGO) -- Steve Wozniak, the co-founder of Apple, is showing a side of himself that has never been seen before in public. Monday, he makes his much anticipated debut on ABC's "Dancing with the Stars."
Most people think of Wozniak as a computer geek. He now prefers the term, "technologist."
"I grew up as a geek; I'll admit I was a geek when I was young, and now I try to be a lot more normal," Wozniak said.
The Woz, as he is known, is donning dancing shoes to prove his point.
"I have a lot of dancing spirit in me, I always have, but it's been really held down so far, and I've never gone out and done it in public," Wozniak said. "I'm scared; how am I going to look when I really try it for real?"
Wozniak is teamed up with Karina Smirnoff for the new season of "Dancing with the Stars." They have been rehearsing in San Jose before heading to Hollywood for the competition.
"Obviously, in the beginning, he wasn't sure what he was getting himself into, so we started out slow, but now we've been practicing for two weeks already, and we have our cha-cha down, we have a little bit of quick-step ready, so he's doing very well; I'm very, very surprised," Smirnoff said.
Wozniak and Smirnoff have chemistry on and off the dance floor. Wozniak showed off his new 17-inch laptop, and the two carried on, talking flash drives and duo-core processors.
However, no advanced computer chip can do the mental processing Wozniak has to do now.
"All we basically have to do is memorize basically a one minute dance, and in that one minute, there's about 1,000 things your brain has to do; about 240 steps and then you have to get your hands and you have to your style and you have to get your smiles and looking and knowing where the audience is and being prepared for the next thing, it's incredible," Wozniak said.
And if he cannot dazzle them with his footwork?
"He's got this very disarming smile and charm and personality, like you laugh with him, and you get happy when he gets the step right," Smirnoff said.
Dancing is the focus, but they both know the show is also about personality and popularity and getting votes.
It also leads to Wozniak saying things he admits is a bit out of character.
"I am so determined to win this competition, I'll cut any corners, I'll do anything in the world, whatever it takes," Wozniak said.
Dancing with the Stars (where to go to vote for Woz)
Woz's official Web site
Signed by Woz (autographed Woz paraphernalia)
Team Woz merchandise
@votewoz -- Follow VoteWoz on Twitter
@GeeksforWoz -- Follow Geek Squad for Woz on Twitter
Join the Vote for Woz on ABC's 'Dancing with the Stars' Facebook group
entertainment, david louie
- SJ store owner get $1M for selling winning ticket
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist
- Food bank hands out hundreds of hams to families 14 min ago
- Wonder Girl to take on Vallejo after Batkid saved SF
- Weather to help crews battling Big Sur blaze
- Results of Consumer Reports car reliability survey
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: OPD gets new SUVs; Big Sur fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Food bank hands out hundreds of hams to...
14 min ago