Steve Wozniak makes his 'Dancing' debut
SAN JOSE, CA (KGO) -- Steve Wozniak, the co-founder of Apple, is showing a side of himself that has never been seen before in public. Monday, he makes his much anticipated debut on ABC's "Dancing with the Stars."
Most people think of Wozniak as a computer geek. He now prefers the term, "technologist."
"I grew up as a geek; I'll admit I was a geek when I was young, and now I try to be a lot more normal," Wozniak said.
The Woz, as he is known, is donning dancing shoes to prove his point.
"I have a lot of dancing spirit in me, I always have, but it's been really held down so far, and I've never gone out and done it in public," Wozniak said. "I'm scared; how am I going to look when I really try it for real?"
Wozniak is teamed up with Karina Smirnoff for the new season of "Dancing with the Stars." They have been rehearsing in San Jose before heading to Hollywood for the competition.
"Obviously, in the beginning, he wasn't sure what he was getting himself into, so we started out slow, but now we've been practicing for two weeks already, and we have our cha-cha down, we have a little bit of quick-step ready, so he's doing very well; I'm very, very surprised," Smirnoff said.
Wozniak and Smirnoff have chemistry on and off the dance floor. Wozniak showed off his new 17-inch laptop, and the two carried on, talking flash drives and duo-core processors.
However, no advanced computer chip can do the mental processing Wozniak has to do now.
"All we basically have to do is memorize basically a one minute dance, and in that one minute, there's about 1,000 things your brain has to do; about 240 steps and then you have to get your hands and you have to your style and you have to get your smiles and looking and knowing where the audience is and being prepared for the next thing, it's incredible," Wozniak said.
And if he cannot dazzle them with his footwork?
"He's got this very disarming smile and charm and personality, like you laugh with him, and you get happy when he gets the step right," Smirnoff said.
Dancing is the focus, but they both know the show is also about personality and popularity and getting votes.
It also leads to Wozniak saying things he admits is a bit out of character.
"I am so determined to win this competition, I'll cut any corners, I'll do anything in the world, whatever it takes," Wozniak said.
Dancing with the Stars (where to go to vote for Woz)
Woz's official Web site
Signed by Woz (autographed Woz paraphernalia)
Team Woz merchandise
@votewoz -- Follow VoteWoz on Twitter
@GeeksforWoz -- Follow Geek Squad for Woz on Twitter
Join the Vote for Woz on ABC's 'Dancing with the Stars' Facebook group
entertainment, david louie
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire