Cheryl Burke holds Philippine disaster fundraiser
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Bay Area dancer Cheryl Burke is a star after performing on the ABC show "Dancing With the Stars." In her San Francisco dance studio this weekend, Cheryl is performing to raise money for Philippine disaster relief.
Her enthusiasm and passion for dance has made Burke one of the audience favorites on "Dancing With the Stars." The show has created renewed interest in dance.
"Dancing is for everybody and it's just so much joy. It's a great exercise routine. It gets you in such great shape and at the same time you're having fun and learning something different. It's new challenge," says Burke.
Burke began dancing at an early age on the peninsula, entering dance competitions. On T.V, she took Drew Lachay to the title in year one, then shared the award with Emmett Smith the next year.
She's won two seasons and says "Two seasons, a long time ago. It's time for another one." When asked if she puts more pressure on herself, she replied, "You know, not so much myself, I think for every celebrity I work with I give 110 percent to them."
The couples rehearse for the show seven days a week. Burke has another performance coming up in her Potrero Hill studio on Sunday, to benefit Philippine disaster relief.
The typhoons there left more than 950 people dead. Damage is in the billions. Her uncles, aunts, and her grandfather live there and they have been affected.
"It's really upsetting and its sad. I'd really like to contribute as much as I can, so I'm going to be here dancing for the first time. I haven't really danced in my dance studio so it's going to be sort of a show," says Burke.
Her performance is on Sunday and on Friday night she's teaching a class at her studio. She says anyone can learn, just look at what she did for a former politician.
Advance reservations are needed for both the Friday night lessons and Sunday's performance.
Cheryl Burke Dance Studio
1830 17th Street at De Haro
For more info call 1-650-598-3126 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
dancing with the stars, san francisco bay, entertainment, don sanchez
- Several aftershocks felt after 5.7 quake in Greenville
- Bay Area man arrested in Czech murders case
- New details released in police officers' murders
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- BART board votes to relax rush hour bike ban
- Man exposes himself outside of hospital in SF
- Magnitude 8.2 earthquake hits Russia's Far East
- New info released about robbery in Santa Rosa
- Clayton resident ID'd as bicyclist killed in SF
- LA Kings beat SJ Sharks in Game 5
- Oakland's real estate market heats up
- abcnews: New bill would allow pets on Amtrak
- roundup: Bicyclist killed in SF; Body in canal ID'd
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday