Connick performs for students at White House
WASHINGTON -- Harry Connick Jr. told students Sunday that music can get people through the darkest times -- even a disaster like Hurricane Katrina, which devastated his hometown, New Orleans, in 2005.
The Grammy-winning composer and singer was welcomed to the White House by first lady Michelle Obama, who invited him to perform for members of a Washington elementary school glee club.
Connick invited one of the children to join him and his band onstage and help sing "When the Saints Go Marching In."
Mrs. Obama told the children that just as singing in their club makes them happy, music can help lift the spirits of a city like New Orleans.
"These guys aren't just playing music and earning money and performing, but they're also community leaders, too," Mrs. Obama said. "Even if you can sing and dance, the question is: What do you give back?"
Connick co-founded the Musicians' Village in New Orleans, which helped provide housing for displaced musicians after Katrina. Some of the musicians who performed with Connick on Sunday live in the village.
Connick will perform Sunday night as part of the National Governors Association's Governor's Ball.
michelle obama, white house, entertainment
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- City College San Francisco protests lead to arrests 20 min ago
- Stockton Tunnel reopens after water line break repaired
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Rare tree halts plans for Smart Train in Cotati
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force 37 min ago
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"...
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
33 min ago
- City College San Francisco protests lead to...
20 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos