Sheridan sues 'Housewives' producer
LOS ANGELES -- Nicollette Sheridan, the actress who played a divorced real estate agent in ABC's "Desperate Housewives," filed suit against the show's creator and producer alleging assault and wrongful termination.
In the lawsuit filed Monday in Los Angeles Superior Court, Sheridan claims producer Marc Cherry hit her in the face on the Wisteria Lane set in September 2008.
Sheridan had asked Cherry about a line in the script, and he "took her aside and forcefully hit her with his hand across her face and head," the suit said. After she stormed off to her trailer, he came to "beg forgiveness."
When she reported the incident to ABC, Cherry retaliated by killing off her character, Edie Britt, in the popular series, Sheridan claims.
The lawsuit seeks $20 million in sustained damages. The suit, which also names ABC, accuses Cherry of creating a hostile work environment on the set and behaving aggressively and abusively toward the cast and the writers.
ABC Studios said in a statement Tuesday, "While we have yet to see the actual complaint, we investigated similar claims made by Ms. Sheridan last year and found them to be without merit."
A call to Cherry's company, Cherry Alley Productions, wasn't immediately returned Monday night.
When Teri Hatcher, who plays Susan Meyer on the show, spoke to ABC executives about Cherry's behavior, Cherry told Sheridan, "I hope Teri Hatcher gets hit by a car and dies."
Sheridan argued that her character was one of the lead characters of the show, and was getting more airtime that season. Edie Britt is not featured in the show's opening credits.
Cherry and ABC retaliated against her by killing off her character in a car accident, the court document said.
"It is exceptionally unusual for a popular character to be killed off or written out of a television series unless the actor has requested to be released from his or her contract," is how Sheridan's lawyer sees it.
celebrity, lawsuit, ABC, entertainment
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident 43 min ago
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest 58 min ago
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 33 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
30 min ago