'Moneyball' begins filming in Oakland
OAKLAND, CA (KGO) -- A bit of Hollywood glamour has come to Oakland. Shooting began Monday at the Oakland Coliseum on "Moneyball," the story of the 2002 Oakland A's and their enigmatic general manager Billy Beane.
The film is about how Beane took a low budget team and created a winner. Beane is played by Brad Pitt.
The film also stars Philip Seymour Hoffman and Jonah Hill.
Hundreds of people showed up Monday afternoon for the chance to be an extra in the film. Some came from as far away as San Diego to make $8 an hour to sit in the stands for hours at a time between takes.
Filming is scheduled through August 5.
oakland, celebrity, movies, oakland athletics, oakland coliseum, entertainment, don sanchez
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin 56 min ago
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015
- Last minute Christmas shopping is in full swing
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos