'Moneyball' begins filming in Oakland
OAKLAND, CA (KGO) -- A bit of Hollywood glamour has come to Oakland. Shooting began Monday at the Oakland Coliseum on "Moneyball," the story of the 2002 Oakland A's and their enigmatic general manager Billy Beane.
The film is about how Beane took a low budget team and created a winner. Beane is played by Brad Pitt.
The film also stars Philip Seymour Hoffman and Jonah Hill.
Hundreds of people showed up Monday afternoon for the chance to be an extra in the film. Some came from as far away as San Diego to make $8 an hour to sit in the stands for hours at a time between takes.
Filming is scheduled through August 5.
oakland, celebrity, movies, oakland athletics, oakland coliseum, entertainment, don sanchez
- Work to begin to replace bolts on new Bay Bridge
- Obama to address drones, Gitmo in security speech
- Man impaled, killed by pipe through windshield
- Officials: All accounted for after Oklahoma tornado
- Bicyclist fatally struck by vehicle in Inner Mission
- SamTrans bus hits low hanging wire in San Mateo
- Man escapes early morning house fire in Pinole
- San Jose firefighters control 1-alarm house fire
- 'Attractive & Fat' campaign slams Abercrombie & Fitch
- Results of Consumer Reports test of sunscreens 13 min ago
- Man makes firearm using 3-D printer
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: Crissy Field art; Richmond shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos