Pixar exhibit opening at Oakland Museum of California
OAKLAND, CA (KGO) -- Ever wonder how the geniuses at Pixar created "Toy Story," "Cars" or "Ratatouille?" Now you can get a behind the scenes look with the opening of "Pixar: 25 Years of Animation" Saturday at the Oakland Museum of California.
The images are unmistakable, memorable. The artistry of Pixar, the studio that redefined and revolutionized animation.
The exhibit holds more than 600 works that point to collaboration in every frame.
"One artist will make something, another will look at it, the director, the production designer, we're constantly reviewing our work and changing it and making sure it fits the story and fits the film," Pixar U Archive Director Elyse Klaidman said.
At Pixar their values have always been on strong characters, story and a convincing world.
"Before anyone touches a computer at Pixar all of the characters, the story and the world of Pixar is done by hand by artists doing drawing, paintings, and sculptures," Executive Director Lori Fogarty said.
The exhibit began five years ago at MoMA in New York. She convinced Pixar executives that the works should come to the Bay Area after a world tour.
"It was a combination of these things not only being great works of art, but also telling really important stories for Pixar," senior curator Rene De Guzman said.
Having the exhibition in Pixar's backyard means the artists and creators will be able to interact with museum goers.
The showstopper is the Pixar zoetrope. When it spins and the lights flicker, it creates the illusion of motion, the secret of motion pictures.
As impressive as all of this is, Pixar has more than a million artifacts in storage, opening up the possibility for more exhibitions. This one runs into next January.
Pixar and ABC7 are owned by the Walt Disney Company
oakland, pixar, entertainment, don sanchez
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested 14 min ago
- Pleasanton students targeted on Instagram 13 min ago
- Sonoma Co. supervisor takes stand in peeping trial
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Group still fighting to save Ice Center in San Mateo
- Clippers beat Warriors 98-96 for 2-1 series lead 32 min ago
- 2 arrested for murder of pet sitter in East Oakland
- 11 kids, driver hurt in SoCal school bus crash
- Paul McCartney will play final show at Candlestick
- Brentwood boy to be honored at MLB All-Star game
- Company seeks professional bruncher in SF
- 7OYS investigates Discount Gold Brokers
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: Muni bus fire; Hiker rescued
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect...
14 min ago