Teen hopes to shine in Radio Disney contest
SAN RAMON, CA (KGO) -- A San Ramon teenager could be Radio Disney's "Next Big Thing." she's one of five singers in the national competition.
High school freshman Amber Lily is already an experienced pro. The 13-year-old's first performance came at age 5 and Amber knew what she wanted to do.
She had lessons, auditions an agent and lived in Los Angeles for year, but her family had to come back home for the high school experience.
"School always comes first. I always finish my school work before working on my music," Amber said.
Amber is grounded, realistic and knows the importance of education.
"Our teachers are working with her family when she has to make trips down south. we're supporting here as we would any other student," high school principal Denise Hibbard said.
She's not just a singer, but a songwriter too.
"I just write about what happens in day to day life that I find interesting and I know everybody else like me is experiencing the same kind of thing," Amber said.
Amber was chosen to be one of five contestants in Radio Disney's "Next Big Thing" contest. She's on the radio, on the Disney Channel and on the website where you can vote.
"The whole point of it is being noticed and getting out there,"she said.
For mom and dad, this break is seeing the result of years of sacrifice and dedication.
"The main focus is getting her to where she wanted and I think we work on it as a family, not just one person, but as a team," Amber's mom Maria Solberg said.
"We'd also like to see her be successful in it as a career because she's so passionate about doing it," Amber's dad Eric Solberg said.
So Amber's dream could become a reality.
"We'll see what happens," she said.
radio, music, disney, san rafael, entertainment, don sanchez
- Child thrown from apartment fire in Hayward 36 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose 20 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos