Teen hopes to shine in Radio Disney contest
SAN RAMON, CA (KGO) -- A San Ramon teenager could be Radio Disney's "Next Big Thing." she's one of five singers in the national competition.
High school freshman Amber Lily is already an experienced pro. The 13-year-old's first performance came at age 5 and Amber knew what she wanted to do.
She had lessons, auditions an agent and lived in Los Angeles for year, but her family had to come back home for the high school experience.
"School always comes first. I always finish my school work before working on my music," Amber said.
Amber is grounded, realistic and knows the importance of education.
"Our teachers are working with her family when she has to make trips down south. we're supporting here as we would any other student," high school principal Denise Hibbard said.
She's not just a singer, but a songwriter too.
"I just write about what happens in day to day life that I find interesting and I know everybody else like me is experiencing the same kind of thing," Amber said.
Amber was chosen to be one of five contestants in Radio Disney's "Next Big Thing" contest. She's on the radio, on the Disney Channel and on the website where you can vote.
"The whole point of it is being noticed and getting out there,"she said.
For mom and dad, this break is seeing the result of years of sacrifice and dedication.
"The main focus is getting her to where she wanted and I think we work on it as a family, not just one person, but as a team," Amber's mom Maria Solberg said.
"We'd also like to see her be successful in it as a career because she's so passionate about doing it," Amber's dad Eric Solberg said.
So Amber's dream could become a reality.
"We'll see what happens," she said.
radio, music, disney, san rafael, entertainment, don sanchez
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support 31 min ago
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed 57 min ago
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- 7 OYS puts waterproof smartphone case to the test 54 min ago
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban 57 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
7 min ago
- Journals show students' despair, hope
7 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos