Performers line up for dance TV show auditions
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A large crowd came out to Oakland this morning to try out for the TV show "So You Think You Can Dance," which is holding auditions at the Paramount Theatre today.
The popular show, which is about to start its eighth season on Fox, has competitors dance in a variety of styles. They are then evaluated by a panel of judges, and viewers decide whom to eliminate each week.
To get on the show, hopefuls have to try out in auditions held throughout the country before each season. Today's audition in Oakland is the first for the show's eighth season.
An employee at Cafe Madrid, a coffee shop down the street from the theater on Broadway, said "a lot of people" were lined up outside the theater this morning.
According to the show's website, registration began at 8 a.m. The most impressive dancers will be given a ticket to Las Vegas for callbacks.
The audition is the only one the show has scheduled so far on the West Coast. The only other audition scheduled is in New York.
reality television, fox, oakland, entertainment
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...