Performers line up for dance TV show auditions
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A large crowd came out to Oakland this morning to try out for the TV show "So You Think You Can Dance," which is holding auditions at the Paramount Theatre today.
The popular show, which is about to start its eighth season on Fox, has competitors dance in a variety of styles. They are then evaluated by a panel of judges, and viewers decide whom to eliminate each week.
To get on the show, hopefuls have to try out in auditions held throughout the country before each season. Today's audition in Oakland is the first for the show's eighth season.
An employee at Cafe Madrid, a coffee shop down the street from the theater on Broadway, said "a lot of people" were lined up outside the theater this morning.
According to the show's website, registration began at 8 a.m. The most impressive dancers will be given a ticket to Las Vegas for callbacks.
The audition is the only one the show has scheduled so far on the West Coast. The only other audition scheduled is in New York.
reality television, fox, oakland, entertainment
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin
- Car crashes into San Jose home this morning 25 min ago
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015
- VIRAL VIDEO: Oscars® Trailer: Ellen... 28 min ago
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos