Pixar celebrates Toy Story 3 Oscar nominations
EMERYVILLE, Calif. (KGO) -- A local film is making a bit of film history, as Toy Story 3 is only the third animated film nominated for best picture.
Neither Woody nor Buzz Lightyear were nominated for best actor, but Toy Story 3 received five nominations. The categories up for grabs include best animated feature, adapted screenplay, sound, song and the all important best picture. This Pixar gem is just the third animated film ever chosen for that.
"We all worked very hard on Toy Story 3 for a long time, for over four years, so this has been icing on the cake, at the end of this incredible journey," Toy Story 3 director Lee Unkrich said.
Unkrich and producer Darla K. Anderson have already picked up Critics Choice, Golden Globes and Producers Guild Awards. But Oscar picks top them all.
"This is so exciting and humbling, we have such respect for the Academy. It's a big deal," she said.
The film resonated with audience, as it was the No. 1 picture at the box office for 2010. Pixar has had a successful track record, but they say going into this, nothing was certain.
"What really drove us when we made it was not to disappoint anybody. We knew how many people loved the first toy story films and then entirety of that responsibility was on our shoulders," Unkrich said.
"Even when you make a good movie or what you feel was a good movie, it's still not a foregone conclusion that people will respond to it. So the whole thing is you do your best job," Anderson said.
They had to get it right, they say because this film is about roots.
"That was really a big thing because Toy Story was the beginning of Pixar," Unkrich said.
Now they are preparing a winner's speech. Unkrich doesn't have his yet, but Anderson has a "rough draft."
"I'd like to thank the Academy. I'd like to thank Don Sanchez," she said.
Pixar, like ABC7 News, is part of the Walt Disney Company. Tune in to ABC7 on Feb. 27 to watch the Academy Awards live.
academy awards, emeryville, movies, pixar, entertainment, don sanchez
- Plane's disappearance result of "deliberate action"
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire
- I-TEAM: Small park, big problems
- Death of woman found in home considered homicide
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos