Man beaten by Prince fans after catching guitar
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- A man who attended the Prince concert at Oracle Arena in Oakland Wednesday night says he was beaten by other concert goers after he caught a guitar the singer threw into the crowd.
The two front row tickets to last night's Prince concert cost Perry Litchfield $750 each. They seemed worth every penny when the pop legend made eye contact with Litchfield and tossed his custom guitar right at him.
"I don't remember anything other than it leaving his hands and entering mine; it was like in slow motion," Litchfield said.
After that, Litchfield says it was all a blur. He says the crowd mobbed him and he has the scratches on his knuckles and back to prove it.
When security pulled him out, Litchfield still had the guitar, but not for long. A stage hand demanded he give it back
"I kind of said, 'What do you mean?' and he grabbed it and said, 'It's just part of the show,'" Litchfield said.
In exchange for the guitar, the stage hand gave Litchfield a guitar pick.
Litchfield is laughing now, but he wants that guitar back.
"To this day I don't understand why I don't have the guitar," Litchfield said. "You throw something into the crowd, it's customary that the people who get it, get."
So was it really Litchfield's guitar to keep? It really depends on if the guitar can be considered "abandoned property" and what Prince's intent was when he tossed it into the crowd.
A spokesperson for Prince did not return ABC7's call for comment.
celebrity, music, oracle arena, oakland, entertainment, cecilia vega
- SF 'landlords from hell' plead guilty to felonies
- Police enforce pedestrian safety with sting operation
- Fire concerns growing as July 4th approaches
- AMA now recognizes obesity as a disease
- Dog that killed 6-year-old boy euthanized
- Panel restores some pay for lawmakers, governor
- ABC7 Top Scholar: Michael Yu
- Woman receives $130 billion FasTrack bill
- SF LGBT film festival marks 37 years amid SCOTUS rulings
- SF couple uses Task Rabbit, Airbnb apps for profit
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder George Zimmer
- abcnews: Pope invites Down syndrome teen for a spin
- roundup: Potrero Hill stabbing; BART review
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos