No political dustups for Cheney on 'The View'
NEW YORK -- The rough, tough ladies of "The View"? No problem for former Vice President Dick Cheney.
Cheney was on the daytime show Tuesday promoting his new memoir, "In My Time," and there were no fireworks. "The View" hosts, particularly Whoopi Goldberg and Joy Behar, are often combative with guests they disagree with politically.
All Goldberg wondered was where Cheney had been during the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Behar asked if the Iraq and Afghanistan wars would have gone differently if it wasn't an all-volunteer army, and Cheney said that "you have to deal with the world the way you find it."
Behar was buffered; Cheney's wife, Lynne, sat on "The View" couch between him and Behar.
"Are you scared to be alone with us?" Behar said. "You brought your wife."
Cheney didn't reply.
The toughest question came from veteran newswoman Barbara Walters, who asked Cheney if the Iraq war was worth it given the human and financial costs. Cheney said it was, then stopped Walters cold when she tried to interrupt to introduce a commercial.
"I listened to the question," he said. "I get to give the answer, Barbara."
Cheney opened his suit jacket to show the battery and control panel to his heart pump, both of which were stored in his vest pockets. He said he hadn't decided whether he wants a heart transplant.
dick cheney, the view, television, entertainment
- SF officials prepare for 102nd Bay to Breakers race
- Albany residents protest return of Occupy activists
- Suspicious package in Livermore prompts evacuation
- Konig wins 7th stage, van Garderen retains lead
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Milone's long skid ends as A's beat Royals
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- Miami Heat player surprises student at prom
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday