Oscars app gives exclusive, interactive Oscar Night experience
LOS ANGELES -- So you're not a member of The Academy, but you have your own ideas about who should win an Oscar. No worries, you've got it all covered with the official Oscars app.
It's now available online in the iTunes App Store. The official app of the Academy Awards gives movie fans the most exclusive, interactive Oscar Night experience ever.
Not only can you make your Oscar picks, you can even compete with friends on Facebook. On Oscar Sunday, users play along during the show and predict category winners ahead of the opening of the envelopes. The app will refresh and calculate your results as categories are won.
You can also access exclusive video, including a series on fashion hosted by our own Rachel Smith.
Using the app gives fans unprecedented access to live streams from exclusive cameras placed throughout the red carpet, the Kodak Theatre and the Governors Ball so you can go beyond the TV broadcast and watch more live Oscar action as its taking place.
The Academy and Disney/ABC Television Group's Digital Media Team designed the app.
"We want this to be the next best thing to attending the show itself," said Karin Gilford, SVP of Digital Media for ABC.com, in a press release.
"We love the level of interaction this app provides our fans," said Christina Kounelias, chief marketing officer, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, in a press release. "It pulls back the curtain and takes viewers on a backstage experience that is fun and engaging. It allows fans access and vantage points that guests in the theater don't have."
The app is free and works on the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.
You can download the Oscars app in the iTunes App Store.
It was announced in November, that Crystal would return to host the 84th annual Academy Awards.
The awards ceremony will air live on Sunday, February 26, 2012 on ABC, OnTheRedCarpet.com's parent company.
Disney is the parent company of On The Red Carpet and ABC.com.
OnTheRedCarpet.com will have complete coverage of the Oscar season, including an exclusive interactive live stream show LIVE from the red carpet. Follow @OnTheRedCarpet on Twitter and "Like" On The Red Carpet on Facebook, and download our FREE entertainment news app for the iPhone and iPad
academy awards, entertainment
- Collapse feared at site of massive Mission Bay fire 40 min ago
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Parents warned about new psychedelic drug
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Recall issued for Fitbit Force over skin problems
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- Strong winds destroy boats at Oyster Point
- No fault in how Children's Hospital handled gir's surgeries 10 min ago
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- roundup: Fatal motorcycle accident; Watsonville...
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos