Valerie Simpson launches solo career in SF
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The legendary Motown duo of Ashford and Simpson wrote some of music's biggest hits. Nick Ashford died last August and now his widow, Valerie Simpson, is launching a solo career in San Francisco.
Never thinking their songs would last, Ashford and Simpson endured in concert halls and intimate clubs like the Rrazz Room. Now, Valerie opens her first week-long solo engagement back there again.
She leaned on Nick like a cushion, she says. Now, she is on stage, alone. She has just released her first solo album in four decades called "Dinosaurs Are Coming Back Again." She recorded it 11 years ago then it sat on a shelf. It includes the last recording Nina Simone ever made.
As she reflects in solitude before her shows, she believes the man who was her partner in song and in life is watching over her.
music, entertainment, don sanchez
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Fire that injured 2 under investigation in SJ
- Lockdown lifted at Monterey Peninsula College 8 min ago
- Blind man survives getting run over by train
- Water pours from top of San Francisco high-rise 58 min ago
- Danville teen killed in Highway 24 crash identified 37 min ago
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- Lonely Michigan boy gets surprise party on GMA
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire 42 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday