Valerie Simpson launches solo career in SF
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The legendary Motown duo of Ashford and Simpson wrote some of music's biggest hits. Nick Ashford died last August and now his widow, Valerie Simpson, is launching a solo career in San Francisco.
Never thinking their songs would last, Ashford and Simpson endured in concert halls and intimate clubs like the Rrazz Room. Now, Valerie opens her first week-long solo engagement back there again.
She leaned on Nick like a cushion, she says. Now, she is on stage, alone. She has just released her first solo album in four decades called "Dinosaurs Are Coming Back Again." She recorded it 11 years ago then it sat on a shelf. It includes the last recording Nina Simone ever made.
As she reflects in solitude before her shows, she believes the man who was her partner in song and in life is watching over her.
music, entertainment, don sanchez
- Sheriff: Suspect in Colorado school shooting dead 18 min ago
- Man survives fiery explosion at Hayward home
- EMT killed in fiery crash on I-580 remembered
- Poll: Californians gradually souring on unions
- Brisk sales raise Mega Millions jackpot to $425M
- Photos: Colorado high school shooting
- Board approves eminent domain move for train 33 min ago
- Survey: Average American leaves $177,000 to heirs 11 min ago
- Vigils to mark first anniversary of Newtown shooting
- String of water mains break overnight in Millbrae
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Saturday
- roundup: SF stabbing; Water main breaks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday