Stern Grove kicking off 75th season of free concerts
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Stern Grove begins its 75th season of free outdoor summer concerts on Sunday. The grove, at 19th Avenue and Sloat Boulevard, is a San Francisco institution in an unrivaled setting.
For 75 years the Stern Grove Festival has presented free concerts for 10 summer Sundays in an outdoor amphitheatre. They pack 14,000 people in here and the programming is quite eclectic, from classical to pop. The San Francisco Ballet is a regular at the Stern Grove Festival. So are the San Francisco Opera and the San Francisco Symphony. This year will also feature Anita Baker and OK Go.
The Stern family is related to the Levi Strauss family. Mrs. Stern gave the grove to the city in the 1930's as showcase for art and culture.
music, entertainment, don sanchez
- Deputies monitoring PG&E substation in San Jose
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
- SAP looks to hire those with autism, Asperger's
- Experts weigh in on Bay Bridge broken bolt debacle
- Windy conditions cause damage around Bay Area
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe 1 min ago
- Group wants parents to boycott Harvey Milk Day
- 49ers new stadium to host Super Bowl 50 in 2016
- Woman's cremated ashes washed away in fire
- Bay Area fire captain among team sent to Oklahoma
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- abcnews: Hero teacher covered students with body
- roundup: SF bank robbery; Search for survivors
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday