Stern Grove kicking off 75th season of free concerts
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Stern Grove begins its 75th season of free outdoor summer concerts on Sunday. The grove, at 19th Avenue and Sloat Boulevard, is a San Francisco institution in an unrivaled setting.
For 75 years the Stern Grove Festival has presented free concerts for 10 summer Sundays in an outdoor amphitheatre. They pack 14,000 people in here and the programming is quite eclectic, from classical to pop. The San Francisco Ballet is a regular at the Stern Grove Festival. So are the San Francisco Opera and the San Francisco Symphony. This year will also feature Anita Baker and OK Go.
The Stern family is related to the Levi Strauss family. Mrs. Stern gave the grove to the city in the 1930's as showcase for art and culture.
music, entertainment, don sanchez
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family to hold prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed 12 min ago
- Another mistake found in BART union contract 15 min ago
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water 33 min ago
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- 7 OYS puts waterproof smartphone case to the test 9 min ago
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban 12 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
38 min ago
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos