Sesame Street welcomes new Latino cast member
Sesame Street is celebrating a new cast member, chosen during the show's first ever open casting call for a Hispanic neighbor.
Producers chose 26-year-old Ismael Cruz Cordova, who will play the role of "Mondo".
Cordova won the role, beating out hundreds of hopefuls who auditioned to be the shows first new Hispanic character in years.
He says it's a dream come true that's brought him full circle to American television.
"My first experience with television, watching TV, was in Puerto Rico," Cordova said. "I only spoke Spanish. I learned how to speak English watching this show."
Cordova says his goal as the newest member of the show is to teach children the Spanish language.
He'll make his debut when Sesame Street's 44th season premieres next September.
television, children, celebrity, movies, art, entertainment
- Freeze Warning in effect for most of Bay Area 19 min ago
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos