Sesame Street welcomes new Latino cast member
Sesame Street is celebrating a new cast member, chosen during the show's first ever open casting call for a Hispanic neighbor.
Producers chose 26-year-old Ismael Cruz Cordova, who will play the role of "Mondo".
Cordova won the role, beating out hundreds of hopefuls who auditioned to be the shows first new Hispanic character in years.
He says it's a dream come true that's brought him full circle to American television.
"My first experience with television, watching TV, was in Puerto Rico," Cordova said. "I only spoke Spanish. I learned how to speak English watching this show."
Cordova says his goal as the newest member of the show is to teach children the Spanish language.
He'll make his debut when Sesame Street's 44th season premieres next September.
television, children, celebrity, movies, art, entertainment
- One dead, another critical in San Francisco fire
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- Police search for men over attempted bank robbery
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Woman struck by cab in downtown San Francisco 24 min ago
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Florida school board member wants parent dress code
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting 47 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos